Monday, May 14, 2012

American Craft Beer Week Pt. 1

Before we get into business, Friendly Package would like to thank all of the Ball State students that voted for us for “Best Liquor Store On Campus” through Ball State's Daily News. For those of you paying attention, that's two years in a row. 


This week is American Craft Beer Week, cue the beer-angels!

So Magical.

We’re going to celebrate this glorious week by giving a dollar off a six-pack or 22oz from selected breweries each day. Also, everyday this week I’ll review one of the beers from the featured breweries and I’ll do my best to get them up early in the day, so you (The drinker) has a recommendation for a beer you may not have tried otherwise.



Monday’s two breweries were Bell’s Brewery and Goose Island Brewery, but since I didn’t think about this until Monday night, I’m not going to write about them. Truthfully, anything you get from either brewery is solid and if you’re lucky enough to have held back a Bell’s Hopslam, or Goose Island Bourbon County Stout or the mouthwatering Ramble Rye (thank god she hasn't figure out how to use the bottle opener yet) what better time to pop it open than American Craft Beer Week?

Tuesday’s two breweries are Colorado’s own Boulder Beer Company and New Belgium Brewery. Although, Boulder Beer Company has many great beers in our door right now, I’ve been looking for an excuse to write about the following beer:

New Belgium’s Cocoa Mole


Made with 3 types of peppers, cinnamon and cocoa, this ale was a pleasure to drink. Cocoa Mole pours a dark brown color with the smell of cinnamon, cocoa and a little heat wafting from the glass. Right when you pour this you know you’ll be in for a wild ride. As it hits your lips you get a taste of chocolate (or cocoa I guess) and then a little cinnamon. The peppers kick in subtly, but more chocolate and cinnamon mask the heat. At the end, the heat lingers in the back of your throat as a bead of sweat rolls down your brow (at least for me). I’m not a big heat/pepper fan, I’m actually the opposite, I don’t do hot foods, but even I want, maybe  need more. Too good. To top everything off, at 9%, you get no booze on the after-taste.

Another great brew from New Belgium’s Lips of Faith Series, if I was smart I’d delete this whole post and let Cocoa Mole be one of those hidden gems in our cooler, but it’s just too good not to share.

Damn my humanitarianism. Come back tomorrow as we continue the American Craft Beer Week reviews. 

No comments:

Post a Comment